Sunday, April 24, 2016

Standing Held


Tossed back and forth like the waves of the ocean
Swirling around and around
Pulled out unaware by the tide
Out to a place where I will surely drown.

I struggle, swim faster, try harder
Thinking if I can just get back to shore
Then I can find stable ground, safety, a foundation.  
But my effort only increases my exhaustion.

And I drift further.  

Unable to fight anymore, I give up.  
I hide myself in the white sea foam and let go.
Completely still, I sink.
Just before my head goes under, I look up 

And that's when I see Him.  

His eyes full of love, He reaches out His hand.
Depleted of strength, I cannot reach back
So my head goes under as my tears add to the saltiness of the ocean
And I resign myself to the darkness that now envelopes me.

Then, something happens.

I'm being lifted from the bottom
And before I know it I'm blinking against the brightness of the sun.
I close my eyes and wait to be taken to the safety of the shore. 
As I wait I contemplate this Rescuer.

Who is He?
And who am I that He would choose to pick me up
No matter how many times I willfully swim away?

Why doesn't He just let go? 

Breathing the salty air, I open my eyes and realize I'm standing still.
But I'm not on the shore.
I'm still out at sea, the waves violent as ever.
Except now I'm dry.

I dare to look at Him 
And He looks right back with eyes that believe I can be more.
It's then that I know He has invited me to stand.
Not on the sandy shore, and not in the lush green valley.  

But on the water, even as the wind rages on. 
He invites me to stand.
Held.  

No comments:

Post a Comment