Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Little Corner of the World

In my lifetime I have heard many wonderful presentations, read inspiring stories, written down motivational quotes and applauded when people have spoken truth from a raised platform in front of large audiences. More recently, I see posts go viral on Facebook that people consider heartfelt, sad, uplifting, tragic, angering.  With the advancement of technology, it's quite simple to share information.  At the click of a mouse, we've spread the word, we've made someone else aware, we've done our part.  With clear conscience, we can settle back into the comfort of our own homes, with our warm blankets and cozy candles, snuggling our remotes and bags of potato chips, watching our favorite television shows.

But, what are we really doing?  What CAN we do?  We talk about solutions, but are we just talking?  Are we taking action to create a world where these solutions can come about?  Or are we just passing along disgust about these situations from one person to the next and then moving back into our comfortable lives? I'm at such a crossroads right now.  What is MY role in making the world a better place?  And how much control do I really have over that anyway?  

It is hard to accept the things I cannot change.  I can't change people.  I can't change situations that are evil, twisted and so filled with deception that vulnerable people, people who have been entrusted to my care, are manipulated.  I certainly can't protect everyone.  I can talk and plead and beg and cry until I have no more breath in me, but if a person doesn't want to make changes, there is nothing more I can do about it.  But it breaks my heart. It makes me want to beat my head into a wall.  It makes me feel like I am watching someone run straight off a cliff at full speed, and I am screaming at this person.  I'm waving my arms and throwing red flags all over the place.  I'm even sending bulls into the path to try to stop the madness.  But, instead of slowing down the person speeds up, thinking that whatever is over that cliff is what is best. Except, in my most recent situation, this person's jumping off the cliff will be the demise of someone else who is completely helpless.  And all there is left for me to do is stand here and watch.  

I absolutely love people.  I mean, I love everything about them.  I think that is why when I am faced with someone who truly does not see how much harm is being caused by ongoing decisions being made, I am crushed.  I am disappointed because, despite the fact that I have lived through hell and journeyed back to life, I still choose to believe the very best about human beings.  I look for the beauty and forget the bad. People deserve that.  It makes life so much better--loving people despite themselves. 

So, again I ask?  What are we DOING to make our little corner of the world a better place?  I know we can't all get involved in every cause that exists around us.  But, I do plead with you to think the next time you go to hit that share button for a cause on Facebook. Instead of sharing an article about the growing number of homeless faces in Nashville with your comment about how someone needs to do something, go volunteer an hour of your time at the Soup Kitchen.  Instead of ranting about the horrendous crime that occurs all around us, mentor a teen, thus planting seeds that will help grow healthier building blocks for future society. Rather than shake your head in disgust over the latest gossip you just heard about a struggling coworker, walk away.  Even better, go encourage that coworker.  It may not seem like much, but every positive moment counts.  It matters.  You choose how you will interact with the world, how your life will matter, what difference you will make.  

I'll tell you what I'm going to do to make a difference in MY little corner of the world.  Despite the fact that I have looked straight into the face of horrendous, seemingly unchangeable injustice this week, I'm going to keep loving and walking right next to people as they journey through some of the most difficult life moments they'll ever face.  I might be disappointed. My heart might be a bit heavy from an ongoing impossible situation I cannot change, but these lives are worth moving forward and continuing the work I've been called to do. The fight is far from over.  So we carry on.

Less talking, more doing.  Get out there and DO something.  

"I did my best, it wasn't much.
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch. 
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you.
And even though it all went wrong,
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but, 'hallelujah...'"
~Leonard Cohen~

No comments:

Post a Comment